Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day...


About this time last year I was sure that I was not going to be one of thoose Mothers who are sobbing at the bus stop. I was going to throw some kind of party, and go get a pedicure. Then I actually got there, and as Peter hugged Abby and told her that he really loved her and was going to miss her, I totally lost it. I was the only Mother sobbing on the corner, and all the other Mothers were assuring me it was going to be o.k.
David even came with us, see there really is some normal after residency :)


Then it was Abby's turn to go to preschool. She asked if I was going to cry again.




Peter is such an awesome kid! He made 4 new friends before the bus even arrived. He has a fierce independent streak, and only gets scared in the middle of the night. He recently told me he was going to be a Firefighter, a Palentologist, and a metro driver. That is in addition to being a Jet pilot, but he already does that job.
This is Peter's first day lunch. I recently discovered charachter bento for kids, and I think it is super fun. We just got a book called "YUM YUM Bento." This is my first attempt at it, those are octopus hot dogs, I know they look a little creepy, but what octopus doesn't?




So far I am thinking the people in charge of elementary schools are a little bit ridiculous. There are so many rules and procedures, and pick-up times, and ... And make sure the snack is labeled "snack" in it's own bag with 2 napkins, not 3 napkins, or 1 napkin, 2 napkins, and the snack can't have peanuts, and bring a shirt with 6 buttons, and don't wear crocs on Tuesdays, and, "no I'm sorry that is not your son's birth certificate, that is a certificate of live birth" it is on white paper and real birth certificates are on colored paper, "yes, I see it has a seal and signature, but it is not a birth certificate," and this won't do where it says MMRV in the second varcillella spot, " ("the V in MMRV stands for varicella"), "well I can't make that leap."
Peter's Teacher is from Connecticut, she is lovely, and so far seems totally reasonable, unlike certain other members of the establishment.

5 comments:

lnkmom said...

Oh, I'm so glad he gets to ride the bus! I never thought I would say that, but it's such a fun experience for them!

Love the Bento lunch, I've been doing something similar, but not as cute as yours!

Glad life in "normal" now! Hope your kids have a great school year!

Jennifer Hales said...

I LOVE Peter's lunch. I may even have to get the book after making fun of it.

jenn said...

You are awesome. I miss you. Especially at book club. I look around and you are not there and then I am sad. But then I remember I can look on your blog and see something that is so AMY that it makes me smile. Like who makes a lunch like that for their kid? AMY does that's who. You are so much cooler than me. I am not worthy. (And is it weird that I really miss Peter?)

LJABandC said...

We all swear we won't be that mom!!! It's sad to see them grow up, but awesome too. I think he is adorable and I can't believe the lunch. It is amazing! When I put my kids lunches in bento boxes it's just regular cheese sandwiches and pretzels. I won't let them see this. But I'm glad to see you have a husband again. I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel....

MaryLee said...

Oh how happy I am that I was reminded about your blog. So fun to see the first day! So cute! I am anxious to hear if the trick worked with the lunch- Did the box come home empty? Does he go the whole day every day?